One of the better improvements to the Windows 7 taskbar is the thumbnail preview – at least that’s my opinion. I also like the group function and that I can close a running application directly from the thumbnail view. However, should you for any reason want to disable the Thumbnails, here is how to do so.
Using Local Group Policy Editor
- Click Start-Button, and type
- In the left pane, navigate to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar
- In the Right Pane, Click the Setting Tab to Sort the list alphabetically
- Double-Click on: Turn off taskbar thumbnails
- Change Configuration to Enabled (Or Disabled to restore them)
- Click OK
- Open Regedit
- Locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER\
Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Policies\ Explorer
NOTE: The Subkey Explorer Might Not Be Present. If that be the case you need to add it (Right-Click on Policies and click New -> Key and name it:
- In The Right Pane, add a new DWORD (32-bit) Value, name it:
- Modify the Value (Double-Click) to 1 (one)
- Close RegEdit and Reboot.